Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Singing As Prayer

There are millions of people in hopeless situations at the moment. Of course, this may have always been true.
It is what we have been choosing for a very long time.

The real question is:
Am I consciously choosing happiness in any given moment?

A sign that things have changed is that this subject used to be regarded as
airy-fairy and way out. Now its considered common sense by most people,
that one can choose to be happy.

Unhappy people avoid singing because it reminds them of forgiveness, power,
kindness, allowance and redemption. For those few moments
they actually would be happy, or at least remember that choosing it is possible.

A major shift towards wholeness and enlightenment is understanding that happiness
is a choice. The test is when things are going really badly.

What do we usually
choose then?

What reasons and justifications have I historically put in place that dictate when I can
be happy? And how much happiness I deserve to feel? And for how long?

Sometimes singing is NOT what I feel like doing. But, for professional reasons I, of course,
do it anyway. I discovered that it healed almost all wounds.

Time, choice and prayer did the rest.

When singing is prayer Communion with all things can be perceived.
When singing is heart centered it heals the singer and anyone listening,
opening hearts and paving the way for
even more integration and the
Awareness of Oneness.

In this sense, what value does singing a song have?

Much love to you today
and everyday.

This is Divy Nelson for
The Singers' Daily
AustinVoiceLessons.com

1 comment:

  1. Divy,

    I agree with you that singing and music heal wounds and provide a therapeutic response against many if not all emotional ailments. So why don't people sing? That's a very good question and one that deserves considerable thought.

    I have in the past asked women if they sing in the shower. Many have said that they do. It's funny because I have never seen them sing. So I wonder if it is partly due to the fact that they are alone and don't have to deal with the rejection, fear or anxiety.

    What I have always wondered is why people listen to very angry music. I have observed people listening to heavy music while they are driving and they are literally beating their steering column the entire time. You could also ask the same question of people who wear black shirts embroidered with skulls.. I think it ultimately comes down to self esteem and the desire to be happy.

    Music is a mood altering drug for me. If the sun is out, it's warm, and I hear Bob Marley in the distance, I get a nice little smile on my face. It makes me happy. It's peaceful. It's sunny.

    I want to be happy and realize that in order for my happiness to bloom, I need to have a positive attitude, need to dance, need to write and need to sing. The power is in my thoughts and my actions. But I also possess the confidence to know that it isn't about how well I sing or how well I write, but rather it's the joy that it provides me with that makes it worthwhile. I think this is the lesson that many people fail to accept.. You don't have to be particularly good at something to enjoy doing it.

    I think the other problem is that many people don't understand what happiness is. That causes them to not want happiness. Some people are ruled by things. Other people are ruled by ideas and concepts. I just want to laugh and smile while having a lifestyle that lends itself to those pursuits.

    Singing makes me smile.

    -Al

    ReplyDelete